Thursday, September 4, 2014

Where I'm From

Where I'm From

Where I'm from the cars move at a constant speed every couple minutes
 Where I'm from it's quite one knows anyone
If it doesn't involve you, you
Don't get into it
Where I'm from it's on the inside
That matters
Where people show you who they really are
Where laughter, jokes, and stupid remarks
Where Witt flows out of mouths and sarcasm seeps
Into every conversation
Where embarrassing moments turn to jokes you'll never live off

Where I'm from there is no reason for below average
Where I'm from you race to beat your siblings shadow but never
Because you have to but because you should
Where I'm from everyone is different
Where you shouldn't stay home because that's lazy
Where you do anything and everything
Where school becomes your 2nd home if not your 1st
Where I'm from family makes you who you are but it's your life

Where I'm from school is an amusement park
Where there are people you may only see once
You might not meet people till your graduation
Where there are challenging classes
And classes so boring your brains will melt
Where I'm from your expected to know what you want
And where you want to go in life
Where I'm from you have to be on point to succeed in life

3 comments:

  1. Megan,
    I'm guessing this poem was about Norwalk. If it's not that means this comment is basically irrelevant and that would also be super awkward. Fingers crossed that it is...
    Anyway I find it really interesting to hear you take on life in Norwalk. Since I don't live there I especially like the second stanza/block. The concept of below average, beating your sibling's shadow, and not staying home is something I never associated with what little I've seen of the town. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll echo Trey's comment: I really like the second stanza (although I thought that was more about your family than about the town--fine either way). And I like the idea that school is "where you're from"--because, really, for all of us, that's where we spend most of our time. To a large degree you're right--where we're from is here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,
    Coming from someone who spends a lot of time in Norwalk but knows a very small fraction about it, I think this poem is very insightful and an interesting take on it. The second stanza (echoing Ms. Parham) is more about your family but I can relate to the whole 'sibling idea.' Also, I like that it really covers a range of different things that you'll see/experience in Norwalk.

    ReplyDelete